There's so much of you here with me...

I've got no friends, not inward friends. Only you. And now the little flame is all I care about in my life. There's the baby, but that is a side issue. It's my Pentecost, the forked flame between me and you. The old Pentecost isn't quite right. Me and God is a bit uppish, somehow. But the little forked flame between me and you: there you are!
That's why I don't like to start thinking about you actually. It only tortures me, and does you no good. I don't want you to be away from me. But if I start fretting it wastes something. Patience, always patience. This is my fortieth winter. And I can't help all the winters that have been. But this winter I'll stick to my little Pentecost flame, and have some peace. And I won't let the breath of people blow it out. I believe in a higher mystery, that doesn't let even the crocus be blown out. And if you're in Scotland and I'm in the Midlands, and I can't put my arms round you, and wrap my legs round you, yet I've got something of you. My soul softly Naps in the little Pentecost flame with you, like the peace of fucking. We fucked a flame into being. Even the flowers are fucked into being between the sun and the earth. But it's a delicate thing, and takes patience and the long pause.
So I love chastity now, because it is the peace that comes of fucking. I love being chaste now. I love it as snowdrops love the snow. I love this chastity, which is the pause of peace of our fucking, between us now like a snowdrop of forked white fire. And when the real spring comes, when the drawing together comes, then we can fuck the little flame brilliant and yellow, brilliant. But not now, not yet! Now is the time to be chaste, it is so good to be chaste, like a river of cool water in my soul. I love the chastity now that it flows between us. It is like fresh water and rain. How can men want wearisomely to philander. What a misery to be like Don Juan, and impotent ever to fuck oneself into peace, and the little flame alight, impotent and unable to be chaste in the cool between−whiles, as by a river.
Well, so many words, because I can't touch you. If I could sleep with my arms round you, the ink could stay in the bottle. We could be chaste together just as we can fuck together. But we have to be separate for a while, and I suppose it is really the wiser way. If only one were sure.
Never mind, never mind, we won't get worked up. We really trust in the little flame, and in the unnamed god that shields it from being blown out. There's so much of you here with me, really, that it's a pity you aren't all here.

Lady Chatterley's Lover, D.H. Lawrence



Non ho amici, amici intimi, soltanto te. E ora quella piccola fiamma è quanto ho di più caro nella vita. C'è il bambino, ma quella è una conseguenza. La mia pentecoste è la fiamma forcuta tra te e me; l'antica pentecoste non è perfetta. "Io ed io" è un atteggiamento troppo superbo in ogni modo. Ma la mia fiamella forcuta fra te e me, quella si che è perfetta!
Ecco perchè non mi piace pensare a te in questo momento, non farei che torturarmi e non serve a nulla. Non voglio che tu sia lontana! Ma se comincio a torturarmi qualcosa si sciupa. Pazienza, sempre pazienza. Questo è il mio quarantesimo inverno e non c'è rimedio per tutti gli inverni che sono passati, ma questo inverno sarà strettamente unito alla mia fiamella di pentecoste e avrò un po' di pace e non lascerò che il soffio del mondo la spenga. Credo in un mistero più alto che non lascia appassire nemmeno un fiore e se tu sei in Scozia e io nel Midland e se non posso tenerti fra le braccia e stringere le tue gambe fra le mie, conservo tuttavia qualcosa di te. La mia anima palpita con te nella fiamella di pentecoste ed è come la pace della carne nella carne. La mia carne nella tua carne ha fatto nascere una fiamma. Anche i fiori sono creati dall'accoppiarsi del sole e della terra ma è una cosa delicata che richiede pazienza e una lunga attesa.
Così io amo la mia castità ora, perchè è la pace che viene dall'unione dei sessi. Mi piace essere casto ora. Amo la castità come i bucaneve. Amo questa castità che è come un intervallo di pace dopo un orgasmo del sesso che ora è tra noi come un bucaneve forcuto di fiamma bianca. E quando verrà la primavera, quando la nostra unione avverrà, allora potremo fonderci e rendere la fiammella splendente, gialla e splendente. Ma ora no. Non ancora. Ora è tempo di essere casti, è così bello essere casti. E' come un fiume di acqua fredda nell'anima mia. Ora che scorre tra noi, amo la castità. E' come questa acqua fredda. E' come pioggia. Come possono gli uomini desiderare un continuo sfarfallare amoroso? Che pena essere come Don Giovanni, incapaci di trovare pace nel sesso quando la piccola fiamma si accende. Impotenti, incapaci di essere casti nei freddi intervalli come sulla riva di un fiume.
Bene tante parole perchè non posso toccarti. Se potessi dormire tenendoti fra le braccia, l'inchiostro si seccherebbe nel calamaio e potremmo essere casti insieme proprio come possiamo giacere insieme. Ma dobbiamo rimanere separati per qualche tempo ed è senza dubbio il modo più saggio d'agire. Potessimo soltanto essere sicuri! Noi abbiamo realmente fiducia nella piccola fiamma e nel dio senza nome che le impedisce di spegnersi. C'è tanto di te qui con me, che è un peccato tu non sia qui tutta.

L'amante di Lady Chatterley, D.H. Lawrence


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento